Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fancy Lady Answers Questions, Pt. 1

Hey, Fancy Lady, you talk about your foot hurting.  What does it actually feel like?
It actually feels like a myriad of things.  RSD can be characterized by "floating pain." Sometimes it feels like:

- my foot from toes to ankle is filled with ice water;
- my foot from toes to knee is filled with ice water;
- my foot has been asleep and is now waking up with an exaggerated pins-and-needles sensation;
- my second toe is breaking off from the rest of my foot;
- my big toe is broken in half laterally;
- the outside of my foot is breaking off from the rest of my foot;
- the ball of my foot is severely bruised;
- the top of my foot is severely bruised;
- my entire foot and ankle feel numb;




So how often and how long do these sensations last?
Honestly, I have yet to figure out a detailed pattern.  I do know that when it hurts, I need to stay off it so as not to further aggravate the nerve signals.  When it feels fine, it feels fine.  Too much movement, too much walking around the house or shopping, too many stairs can irritate it.  That said, just because it hurts for ten minutes does not mean the whole day is shot.  Depending on the severity of the pain, I can keep going or I need to stay off it and could possibly need pain medicine to relax the nerve signals.

How come the water park does not bother it and cleaning does?
Clever question.  The water park and the pool do not bother my foot too much because I'm walking in an inch or more of water most the time.  The water acts as a lovely cushion.  Walking up and down the stairs to slides can become an issue.  When it does, I stick to the lazy river and wave pool.  Cleaning (vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, etc) requires lots of rotation, varying pressure, and some front foot action.  The aftermath of cleaning can mean a couple days off my feet due to foot pain while the aftermath of the water park could simply be a day of general foot fatigue.

Have you figured out any patterns, yet?
Yes.  I have learned to stay ahead of the pain.  When I overdo it, taking pain medicine and staying off my foot for a day or two (maybe three) can reduce the RSD flare dramatically.  For instance, the other day I ran down the hall and felt as if I set back my healing progress by three weeks.  Taking the big gun medicine and staying off my foot allowed the flare to subside and now I am back on track in the healing process.

Doesn't it bother you to take the big gun medicine?
Yes, very much.  Because of a surgery last December, I am on blood thinners for a year.  Blood thinners and anti-inflammatory medicine do not mix.  Therefore, I am limited in what I can take for pain.  I try to limit when and how much I take.

What bothers you the most, aside from the pain?
It bothers me to no end that my kids suffer.  While we have spent quite a few days at the water park, they have heard repeatedly that we cannot do or go or whatever because I need to rest my foot.  I do not mind telling my children "no," but I do mind telling them we cannot because of my physical limitations.  Chalk it up to "Mommy Guilt."

Any other questions?  Lay them on me.






No comments:

Post a Comment