Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about my last doctor's appointment. I've been in something of overload around here. Despite trying to write for the past few days, it just did not happen. So, today, coffee in hand, I shall write and actually post.
Last Friday I saw the sports medicine orthopedic surgeon/ankle and foot specialist. He is in the same practice as my orthopedic surgeon and consulted on the CT scan. Here's what he had to say:
1. Melorheostosis is basically a birthmark in the bone and not something to worry about at all. At all.
2. Freiberg's Infraction (not "infarction") is not fixable. The bone loses circulation and the cartilage degenerates faster. It typically resolves itself, you just wait and give it time.
However:
2.a. He does not think I have Freiberg's. He could not open the MRI files, but was able to read the radiologist's report and is not convinced it is Freiberg's.
Fantastic, so what now?
3. No weight-bearing or impact exercise - that includes low impact exercise. I can swim. I can get on the elliptical machine. No walking around the block. Certainly no running.
Okay, great. So what about the pain and discomfort?
4. He thinks it's a stress-injury and I probably have lingering RSD. (Remember RSD? Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) He's not a fan of Lyrica to treat it. My case is very mild (I do not have swelling or bruising) and it should resolve itself without medication. Anti-inflammatory medicine would be helpful, but I cannot take it right now. I can take pain medicine as needed.
Now for the real question: When can I run again? Will I be able to run again?
5. Yes. He says in six months I can slowly get back to running. That's January. If I start super slow and continue slowly and the pain returns, it's probably Freiberg's after all. If the pain does not return, I'm good to go - but I need to behave myself this time. (Yes, sir.)
Uh, so what now?
6. Take it easy. Rest it. Take pain medicine as needed. Eventually the RSD symptoms (coldness, tingling, soreness, numbness) will subside. When they subside, probably several months from now, I can get back to exercising for real.
~ ~ ~ ~
Since last Friday I have tried the elliptical. It would work fantastically if I could stay off my toes. I have an unfortunate tendency to slide forward on the elliptical and put most of my weight on my forefeet. (Gee, I wonder how I hurt myself in the first place.) I've also been swimming and found freestyle and backstroke aggravate my foot, but the fly and breast work fantastically.
Thank you for the concern and prayers. While only two of you are actually following me via the blog, many more of you are following via Facebook. I appreciate your kind words and support.
I am annoyed and frustrated about landing myself in this position. Essentially, I did this to myself. I pushed too far, too fast and wounded myself, resulting in a lingering issue. My mom and I were talking about it and she laughed and said she had no idea where I got the bullheadedness. Ha. I replied that mind over matter usually works, that pushing through usually works. It did not work here.
Eh.
Take the time and let it heal, obey the Dr's and time will fly by.
ReplyDelete