Thursday, May 24, 2012

There's Something in My Bone Scan

This morning, I drove my happy self into downtown for the bone scan.  They gave me the radiation shot and took a couple scans to verify it worked, then sent me on my way for a few hours.

Luckily, a good friend met me for breakfast.  Her company was exactly what I needed this morning.  She's funny and perky and positive and smart.  She also thinks I'm funny.  That's always a bonus.  Hold on, I think she thinks I'm funny.  Either she does or the past nine years have been an embarrassing delusion.  At any rate, I'm thankful and grateful for her company.

After breakfast, I headed back for the big scan.  The bone scanner looks like a CT scanner.  There's a ring of machine through which the movable bed slides through or up and down as necessary.  From the bed, I could see the radiation spots create a picture on the technician's screen.  She took three different scans from three different angles.

There is definitely something there.  I am not a doctor, so I do not know exactly what I was seeing, but my amateur eyes could see something there the same shape as the top of the lesion as shown in the x-rays and CT scan.  The shape reminds me of a molar missing most of the roots.  It definitely lit up the screen.

The radiologist will read the scan and FAX the report to my doctor tonight or tomorrow.  I assume an urgent situation would mean a phone call tomorrow.  Monday is a holiday.  Tuesday is my scheduled appointment.  If I do not hear something before, surely we will know more Tuesday morning.

I have become rather philosophical about it all.  Either it's a stress fracture that looks like hell in the scan and it'll  heal on it's own.  If it is something more, then thank God I started running and hurt myself enough to find it.  Either way, it is what it is and I am doing the best I can to be as proactive as possible.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment