Da Da Dum.....
[theme song]
Giles' Anonymous Offspring and I headed down south to my parents' ranch. (Eh, it's more like a house on acreage. Do not tell the retirees their beloved daughter said that.) We headed down to spend the long weekend with family. La-di-da, everything is good.
Monday morning, one of Giles' Anonymous Offspring received a snake bite. Long story short, a copperhead bit said child, we went the the ER, were admitted, and spent the next 24 hours in the hospital for observation. The child has no ill-effects. The bite site looks fantastic. The swelling has dissipated. Now the child has a story for life and experienced instant celebrity for the last couple days of school.
Because we were out of town and in the hospital, I had to cancel my follow-up appointment to learn the results of the bone scan. When I called to cancel, I left a long and rambling message for medical assistant. She called back Tuesday evening and read some of the report to me.
"Stress response" not "stress fracture" and zero mention of anything insidious growing in the depths of the bone. Amen!
Uh, what's a stress response? Does my foot need anxiety meds? A therapist? I do not know how I feel about the personification of my bone.
The MA relayed the doctor wanted to confer with a colleague about what to do next and would have an answer by Thursday. When the MA called yesterday, she still had no answer from the doctor, but hoped to have one today - 6/1/12.
My big question is "what now?" As it stands, I see four possible scenarios for my foot. (Keep in mind that over the past five weeks, I have been in a boot, wrapped it, done RICE and nothing seems to have made a difference in my pain level.)
1. Nothing - give it time.
2. Crutches - no weight on the foot.
3. Cast - possible immobilization might help.
4. Surgery - unlikely, but slight possibility.
In the meantime, until I hear something else, the kids have passes to a water park and we. are. going. For all we know, the water will calm that stressed-out bone.
No comments:
Post a Comment