Tonight I got "madamed."
What does that mean?
It means the sweet little high school senior girl who switched out my t-shirt at Freebirds (the best burritos ever) concluded our transaction with, "Thank you, madam, have a great evening!"
Madam?
... Madam? ...
Now, I am a Southern Girl. I did not live above the Mason-Dixon line until after marrying my husband. (If you do not know the line of which I speak you are not Southern.)
Just in case you are not Southern, let me fill you in on a bit of etiquette:
We do not, we do not, we do not, we. do. not. refer to our women - EVER - as madam.
"Ma'am" me all you want.
Madam?
For the record, you had best not be calling me "Miss" unless it is followed by my first name. "Miss Fancy" is fine. "Would you like more coffee, Miss," is not.
More etiquette lessons to follow as needed.
****
In case you wondered about my previous post: I did run. My calves loosened up after I stopped running. My immediate goal is to run and not feel as if I might die.
Miss Fancy
Thank you for posting this. I was afraid I was the only one. I really dislike being called "Miss," but everyone else I know up here in yankee-ish land would prefer "Miss" to "Ma'am".
ReplyDeleteBut "Madam"?! Does she think you run a bordello?
(Ignore my punctuation and possibly spelling. I'm tired.)
I wondered that, too! Do I really look like I run a bordello? I also loathe "Miss." Not only is it rude, it reminds me of students who could not be bothered to learn my last name.
ReplyDelete