Why do I want to know? Well, it would seem I pushed too hard on Monday and jammed my toes while trying to keep my left outer heel from dropping. It would never have happened if I had listened to my body and stopped when it said to stop. Instead of stopping, I overcompensated and did some damage.
The cool thing, though? Something
The downside of running yesterday? The jammed toes turned into searing pain radiating up to my knee halfway through the run. I had to walk it home. And yet, and yet, and yet... I can hardly wait to get back out there.
So, tell me your tales of woe.
Please? I need reading material while I sit here and ice my foot.
Ha okay.
ReplyDeleteI'm a YoYo runner, not really new to it. After baby #3, c-section, I set my sights on a 10K when she turned 8 months old. My DH left on an overseas business trip at the 2 month mark but bought me a treadmill before he left!!!
I had heard treadmill running doesn't simulate road running well unless it's on a slight incline. Seriously what did that person know?!
I did all my training on the treadmill while the kids watched PBS. On race morning I felt prepared, I'd done my training, I put the mileage in, i HAD this! That morning I nursed the baby and headed for the starting line. Knowing I wasn't in prime shape I hung near the back. I was impressed with my time for the first mile. The second mile I was holding the pace but it seemed HARD. Mile 3 I slowed the pace, mile 4 I wanted to quit. Mile 5 was a hill, a long, steep hill... I walked for the first time EVER in a race. Mile 6 was a little downhill, the finish line was the ONLY thing that kept me going.
I nearly collapsed at the end. After some water, okay A LOT of water, I found the strength to get in my car and drive home. At home I opened the car door and nearly fell as my legs tried to support my weight. I was SORE, hardly able to walk for the next 3 days.
How important is that incline? Turns out VERY important :) The experts say .5%-1% should do the trick. I run on 2% now. I never, EVER want to experience another run like that 10K.
Yeouch! That sounds miserable. We have an elliptical and when it was raining a few weeks ago, I trained on it. Yeah, even training on level 5 did not help when I got outside again. The elliptical basically offered a cardio workout and that was it. There is NO comparison to being outside.
ReplyDelete