Notice all the "I" statements? Yeah. It is truly self-inflicted.
Oh, c'mon, all you first borns out there ... you know who you are. We have to learn an uncommon amount of grace and patience with ourselves just to behave as normal people.
For those onlys, middles and youngests out there, all I can say is look to your oldest child. See what I mean? It is there. I have yet to meet an oldest child who does not bear the signs of more tension than his younger siblings. Onlys have a touch of this, but it's... different.
Why this lesson in birth order?
Ahem.
My brother (who happens to be the youngest) was right about running. Again. "It takes time," he said. Repeatedly. "It takes time." "It took me several months." "It takes time." Put his voice on a loop and you got it.
Did I mention first borns have a stubborn streak about their
Again, why this lesson in birth order?
I pushed too hard too soon. My left foot still hurts. Despite
"Barefoot running feels wonderful! The urge to do too much before your feet are ready is very powerful. As such, it is important to follow a conservative plan even if you feel great in the beginning. Going too fast may result in a myriad of injuries, including tendon and ligament damage, excessive blisters, stress fractures, and other over-use type injuries."
Yes, the whole passage is hyperlinked to Jason Robillard's site. It's all true. Barefoot running feels wonderful.
"..over-use type injuries..." Guilty as charged.
I did too much. I ran too far, too soon. Trying to get ready for the Run Like a Mother 5K (remember my previous mention of ridiculously high goals?) made me forget to give it time. Running barefoot just feels so good! Pushing one whole minute too far and BOOM, injury.
The
In the meantime, lots of ice and lots of rest and then backing off the 5K training and remembering "it takes time."
Poo.
I must be barefoot running wrong, it doesn't feel "wonderful." I just getting it to feel comfortable.
ReplyDeleteI agree take your time!